Grant Writer & Project Manager
Location: Newton, Massachusetts (hybrid schedule: 2 days/week in-person)
Reports to: Director of Development
Position Description: HEI is seeking a Grant Writer & Project Manager to join our growing Development team. The ideal candidate is a resourceful, organized, detail oriented, and collaborative team member with excellent written communication skills. Their primary role will be to develop grant proposals and reports for institutional and government funders, guide them through the funding process, monitor progress against grant deliverables, and communicate results to funders. The Grant Writer & Project Manager will collaborate extensively with the Newton-based program and finance teams as well as the Haiti-based clinical and leadership teams. The HEI office is a welcoming, dynamic environment with opportunities for professional growth and development.
Grant Writing (60%)
- Prepares grant proposals and reports by gathering and formatting information, writing and revising drafts, liaising with cross-organizational teams, and obtaining necessary approvals.
- With support from program and development colleagues, develops project concepts, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation plans, methods, timetables, staffing plans, standards of performance, and evaluation plans.
- Liaises with finance team to ensure proposal budgets and financial reports are prepared in accordance with funder requirements and integrated into submission packages.
- Writes, revises, and edits drafts of one-pagers and other collateral for institutional funders, individual donors, and other audiences as needed.
- Proofreads/copyedits colleagues’ work as needed.
Project Management (40%)
- Manages proposal and report development and submission processes, including gathering program information; liaising with finance team; compiling and formatting supporting documents; and coordinating meetings across teams to facilitate project management.
- Collaborates with program team to communicate deliverables and responsibilities to implementing staff in Haiti.
- Monitors grant activities and deliverables, making data accessible to all team members and alerting cross-org teams about off-track indicators or need for revisions to targets.
- Maintains funder database (Raiser’s Edge) to ensure timely grant reporting.
- Excellent written communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to develop, implement, and refine systems and follow-up processes.
- Minimum of 4 years experience in grant writing or similar field.
- Experience with federal grant applications (or similarly complex applications with strict guidelines, multiple addenda, and detailed Request for Proposal packages)
- Proficiency with grant management software (e.g. Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce).
- Proficiency in French and/or Haitian Creole strongly preferred.
Compensation: $50,000-$60,000/year, employer-sponsored health insurance
About HEI: We are a dynamic and committed team dedicated to health equity and improving global health. Our small Boston-area office oversees financial management and fundraising for St. Boniface Hospital, located in southern Haiti. SBH is run entirely by Haitian staff and reflects HEI’s mission and values: we believe in local leadership, strong community partnerships, and that all people deserve high-quality, dignified health care. We are engaged in a diversity, equity, and inclusion initiative and are committed to the ongoing work of becoming an intersectional, antiracist organization. This is an excellent opportunity for a grant writing/development professional looking to take the next step in their career.
How to Apply: Please submit your cover letter, resume, and 1-2 writing samples at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Grant Writer & Project Manager.” Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applicants, we will only contact those who are being considered for an interview. Thank you for your interest in HEI/SBH.